Now Playing

Stonebridge / Therese

Put 'Em High

'Serious concerns' raised by MPs after rape allegations on Married At First Sight UK

MPs have written to Channel 4 and Ofcom with "serious concerns" about their response to the allegations of rape and sexual assault on Married At First Sight UK.

MPs on the Culture, Media and Sport (CMS) Committee wrote to the organisations after two women alleged they had been raped and another made claims of sexual misconduct to BBC's Panorama programme.

All three said the Channel 4 show, made by production company CPL, did not do enough to protect them.

Channel 4 boss Priya Dogra said on Wednesday she was "deeply sorry" for the distress caused to Married At First Sight UK participants who alleged they were raped and sexually assaulted by their partners. Ms Dogra said a review into contributor welfare was now under way and there were "limitations" on what she could say until this was complete in late summer.

Ms Dogra added: "That said, I have watched the programme and heard the women's accounts which are very troubling.

"Their distress is clear, and for that I am, of course, deeply sorry.

"Welfare across all our programmes is hugely important to us, and is a primary concern.

The apology comes as a psychologist who previously worked on the programme has said more "transparency" is needed to protect contestants after women made allegations of rape and sexual assault.

Psychologist Jo Hemmings said that despite protocols and welfare practices being "very tight", she felt there were gaps between what psychologists would recommend and what was broadcast.

Speaking to the PA, Ms Hemmings said contestants should be allowed to see some footage or request that certain footage was not shown because welfare "should be at the heart of everything that the production team does".

Channel 4 and CPL have been approached for comment.

'Urgent questions to answer'

Dame Caroline Dinenage, chair of the Culture, Media and Sport (CMS) Committee, has questioned whether "enough is being done" to "protect people taking part in reality television".

She said: "The horrifying allegations about Married At First Sight raise serious concerns over whether enough is being done to protect people taking part in reality television.

"Both Channel 4 and Ofcom, as the broadcasting regulator, have urgent questions to answer."

The letter to Channel 4 also asks about its complaints process for contestants on the programme and the steps taken to ensure the allegations were fully investigated, along with the review announced by the broadcaster.

On Tuesday, the Metropolitan Police urged potential victims of sexual assault on the reality TV show to get in touch.

The broadcaster said it had removed all previous seasons of MAFS UK from its streaming platforms.

The move follows an external review, commissioned by the broadcaster in April, into the welfare of participants on the programme.

The government has said all the allegations must be investigated and that "there are consequences for criminality or wrongdoing".

Read more from Sky News:
Air conditioning will become 'unavoidable' in parts of England
Unemployment rate ticks up to 5%

Shona Manderson - the third of the three women making allegations about their time on the Channel 4 show, and the only one who is named - said she "completely lost her light" while appearing in the series.

The show sees single people matched by experts and then "marry", with couples meeting for the first time on their wedding day.

The "marriages" on the show are not legally binding but the couples go on a "honeymoon" and move in together after their weddings.

Ms Manderson's on-screen partner Bradley Skelly told the BBC's Panorama he categorically denies "any allegations of sexual misconduct, or that he was controlling".

In a statement on Wednesday, Channel 4 chief content officer Ian Katz said the broadcaster "ensured that women involved were kept safe when any issues were raised to us" and were given "appropriate support".

All three men deny the allegations.

Sky News

(c) Sky News 2026: 'Serious concerns' raised by MPs after rape allegations on Married At First Sight UK

More from Showbiz

On Air Now

  • Non Stop Music

    Midnight - 6:00am

    Hit Music... All Night!

VIP Club

Sign up to get more with the Listener Club!

Get Our Apps

  • Available on the App Store
  • Available on Google Play
  • Just ask Amazon Alexa