Bracknell Couple's Year-Long Shower Nightmare

A blind, disabled 69-year-old man from Bracknell says he and his wife have had to use their daughters shower after their own has been out of action for over a year.

Steve Broad lives in a ground-floor flat in Hanover Gardens, retirement properties managed by Anchor. He says the shower first broke on June 25 last year and has still not been properly fixed despite repeated visits.

"The fly in the buttermilk is that I haven't had a working shower since June 25 last year," he said. "A staff member on the phone said I could use a wet towel for a strip wash while they sort it out!"

Mr Broad says four pumps have been fitted over 10 visits but nothing has worked, and his wife has made an official complaint. They have also asked Bracknell Labour MP Peter Swallow for help.

Hanover Gardens said: "The parts needed to repair the shower have already been ordered and the work is scheduled to be completed next week. We'll continue to keep our residents updated on progress and have arranged for hotel accommodation while the work is carried out."

Mr Broad confirmed work will begin next week (Monday, August 24) and they have been booked into the Travelodge Bracknell Central Hotel for two nights.

James Aldridge, Local Democracy Reporter

On Air Now

  • Henry Malo

    7:00pm - 10:00pm

VIP Club

Sign up to get more with the Listener Club!

Get Our Apps

  • Available on the App Store
  • Available on Google Play
  • Just ask Amazon Alexa